Tuesday 14 October 2014

Skeleton Sidearms SS17 (glock 17) Review

     Last fall I made the decision to purchase a Skeleton Sidearms SS17. I was looking for a reliable green gas side arm and came across this pistol during my search. What sold me on the gun was the fact that it looked good, was supposedly TM compatible, and came for a reasonable price.
     Initially, I was very impressed by the feel of the SS17. It has a full metal slide, and it came with a choice of either a metal outer barrel or plastic. The trigger safety did not really work very well, however I did not find anything else wrong with the operation of the gun.
    
     Internally, the gun seemed just as good as any KJW pistol I had seen. Not to mention the two prong hop up seemed like a nice touch to finish it off. The pistol sounded good, fired well, was great on gas, and fairly accurate.


     The SS17 seemed like anything I ever wanted in a side arm. After a full season the pistol was still working well though I had only put 500-1000 rounds through it. I cleaned and oiled it often. However that all changed this month as during a game, the gun jammed up and I could not figure out what caused it to stop operating. I had fired about half a mag through it that day, and when I pulled it out to replace my empty primary, nothing worked. The trigger was stuck, and the slide was stuck. Upon further investigation later I found that the hammer had broken. A friend of mine was not at all surprised as he had owned the exact same pistol and the hammer broke twice within a few thousand rounds before he gave up on the thing. To make matters worse it turns out the SS17's are surprisingly hard to find parts for. When they said TM compatible, they really only meant the magazine.

Overall, in my honest opinion, this pistol is a waste of money as the hammer is known to break, and hard to replace. It performs well when it's working however it's nothing better than any other gas pistol. You're much better off getting a Wii Tech or KJW. I would not recommend the SS17 for these reasons.

Pros: Feels solid, fun to shoot

Cons: Hammer breaks very often, nothing really special, hard to replace parts


No comments:

Post a Comment